Golden Willow Farm

Michigan Right To Farm Law


* Learn the things city hall don't want you to know....

    * Did you know?? There is no law that states the size of a farm. The supreme court of Michigan says that a farm is any place that commercially produces a product useful to

    * humans... This means if you have a chicken and you sell or try to sell the eggs that that chicken lay's, you are a Farm...

    * Everyone, Everywhere in Michigan has a right to Farm. This is your state Law but city hall won't tell you about it.  I have learned so much about our right to grow, raise and share Any and All thing Beneficial to humans..

    * Please take the time to look up MICHIGANS<RIGHT TO FARM LAW, Know your rights when that zoning guy shows up and tell you , YOU CAN"T DO THAT >>>

    * Michigan has the strongest right to farm laws in the U.S. 


Q- Is there any stipulation on size of property or what constitutes a "farm".  Do we have to register anything, or post anything or fulfill any requirements?

A- No in MI it does not matter if you have 1/10th a acre or 100 acres. They wrote the law this way on purpose. The RTFA covers you as long as you practice GAAMP ( Generally Accepted Agricultural Practices ) 

Some Town and City ordinances go against the Right To Farm Act, and due to some supreme court cases ( I believe the most recent one was in 2007 or 2008 ) The supreme court basically said... Town and City Ordinances can not trump State Law. You can go to the website and find a copy of both our State Law and a section that explains what GAAMP is. 

If you live in a city or town that does not know about RTFA and GAAMP you can print copies from website and supply them a copy for their reading pleasure. Most of the time they will back off after that.  Put a sign out on your lawn that says $2/doz ( or $20/doz ) it doesn't matter. You also don't need to show proof you sell them. Just a sign will work. There is no dollar amount associated with RTFA in MI.  The zoning laws can not override state law. This has been to supreme court many times, the most recent was 2007/2008. Our supreme court said that No town, city ordinances, or zoning laws can override state law. Most town and cities either don't know this, or don't want you to know this. Zoning issues do not apply to RTFA. 

Anyone who cites the RTFA must also practice GAAMP, and have an INTENT to sell products used for human consumption in some form. Zoning boards can't interfere with State law.